Thursday, November 19, 2009

Snakes and Reptiles!!! Oh My!

We have now arrived at Day 3 of the Great Adventure and it was our final morning at camp.

Our last class was about reptiles and snakes. This was one of the coolest experience of the whole trip in my opinion. We got to pet baby alligators and see various kinds of turtles in the natural habitat, not just behind the glass.

However, the most exciting part was when we went into the snake room. Now, let me tell ya'll that I am NOT a lover of snakes. We have had two snakes in the yard this year and it just completely freaks me out. But something came over me when I entered this snake room! :) Kayla and I both got to hold our first snake. Not just pet it, hold it! I think it was a king snake, but I'm not sure. I cannot even begin to explain how it feels to hold these creatures. It takes both hands to hold them and they just coil themselves around your hands and arms just as if they are coiling around a tree branch. The snake that they guide was holding actually managed to get it's tail through the belt loop on her shorts and then down into her pocket. It was crazy! I can't explain it, but it was just a really neat experience. Pictures to come soon for those of you who haven't already seen them on facebook.

That was the end of our great adventure. It was a great trip and I am so glad that I got to go with Kayla. She had a blast hanging out with all of her friends (and her mom too)!

0 comments: