Thursday, November 19, 2009

FINALLY

Okay, so I really have been wanting to post about Kayla and I's great Field Trip Adventure, but I have been swamped! However, I am making time today because I'm afraid if I don't get it posted I'll forget what we did! :) I happen to be having an incredibly slow and boring day at work sooooo, today it is! You'll have to wait on pictures though until I can upload those from home.

So, day 1...

Kayla and I were able to drive ourselves so it provided for some great mother and daughter time. We had an uneventful trip until we got on the island. We had finally caught up with the bus in Statesboro and so we followed them from Statesboro to St. Simons Island thinking they knew where they were going. However, that was not the case! We ended up following the bus and about 8 or 10 other parents around the island for probably 45 minutes. So, by the time that we got to Driftwood Education Center, we were very late and they were rushing us to lunch so we could get on with our afternoon activities. The first activity that we did was about the marsh. It was an enlightening discussion of how the marsh works - it really was very interesting. From there we went down into the marsh and the guide let the girls dig mud up from the bottom of the marsh area to do mud facials. Apparently all of the decaying junk at the bottom of the marsh provides for some very nutrient rich mud that is great for your skin! I opted out of that one because I wasn't sure when we were going to be able to wash it off. Had I known that we would leave the marsh to go to the water hose, I would have given myself a facial too!
From the marsh we went trawling! This was extremely fun! We went out on a boat and they put the nets down to see what kind of marine life we could come up with. Kayla and I both held live shrimp, we saw a tongue fish, an anchovie, and some other fish that I don't remember the names of.
After that, we were finally able to unpack our stuff and get into our cabins and have some dinner. That night after dinner, we all did squid dissections. It was kind of cool, but I have to tell ya'll that the smell was awful. I mean really awful!!!! Kayla loved this class - she popped out eyeballs and checked out the "goods" of the squid and finally ended with puncturing the ink sack and giving her dear old mom an ink tatoo!
So, obviously by this point, you know that we are completely exhausted. It's probably about 9:00 p.m. and all of the girls and room moms have to have showers. Nine people, one shower - you do the math. Not to mention that we had to be up and ready for breakfast by about 6:00-6:30 the following morning. It was a late night - the girls were wild and wound up, but eventually I think they all did finally go to sleep.

Stay tuned for Day 2... Cumberland Island

0 comments: