Thursday, November 6, 2008

Smokin' Hot

What is smokin' hot? Apparently, my daughter. Kayla and I had an enlightening conversation this morning in which she told me that one of her classmates told his friend that Kayla was "smokin' hot", in the appearance sense, not the bodily temperature sense. In an age of hot flashes and hormone surges, I'm hoping to goodness she was sweaty and hot after leaving recess or something and Mr. Joe Cool is just making a harmless observation. Not the case. Ya'll, he called my baby "smokin' hot". I just want to go on record as saying that my daughter is NOT hot! Cute, yes. Pretty, absolutely. Hot, NO!!! Smokin' hot implies something very distasteful in my book, especially when you are talking about a 9 year old. May my husband and I instill in Tyler a respectfulness for girls and women alike to not tell somebody that they are smokin' hot unless he is married to her! Do these parents of these boys not realize how much harder they are making my job? We have always tried to teach Kayla that inner beauty is far more important than outer beauty. That if you are the most beautiful creature in the world and are ugly on the inside, that that ugly will always come through on the outside, and that's what will be seen. Arrrgh! Want to know something else? Last week when we were having our annual Halloween dinner with the H's, Kayla was telling about some friends at school and I have to admit I was only half listening b/c she was talking to Uncle James. However, I hear her say something about "making out" and my ears instantly perked up. It seems that some of her friends were saying that this boy and girl were making out at recess or something. WHAT???? They are in FOURTH GRADE! The bad thing is is that I asked Kayla if she even knew what that meant and she did! Let me assure you that I did not teach her about making out! Before half of you wonder if I am going to pull her out and start homeschooling, the answer is no. For all of my homeschool friends, and I have a bunch, I love ya'll dearly, and I think what you do is amazing. I also think that homeschooling is a very special calling that God does not give everyone. If God had not given Craig and I clear directions when Kayla started Kindergarten maybe I would be considering it. Our friend that we carpool with and us had our kids enrolled and ready to start Kindergarten at a small Christian school in the area. In May (school starts in August), the school shut down - no warning, no nothing. At that time Craig and I really explored our options and really felt that God was leading us to Brookwood so that Kayla, as well as us, could be a light and a testimony there. I think we have done that and we will continue to do that until God tells us otherwise, but somedays it is hard. Especially on the days when my daughter gets educated about something that I didn't know about until much later in life! I was just reading another blogger's entry this morning about praying for our kids. We MUST pray for our children, they are under attack in so many ways. Lift your kids up today whether they are doing school in a classroom somewhere or whether they are doing school at your kitchen table - they need our prayers!

0 comments: