Friday, May 15, 2009

The Good and the Bad

Yesterday afternoon my door bell rings and it is my UPS man. I couldn't remember ordering anything, so I grab the envelope and look at the return address. It was from the publishing company that I sent my children's book to several weeks ago. I had received an email the beginning of the week from them letting me know that they would be reviewing my book this week. The letter was dated the 13th(my birthday, woohoo) and they had overnighted this package to me. I opened it up to find a letter telling me that they want to publish my book along with a contract for me to sign laying out all of the fine details. Yea, I called my mom and was bawling on the phone as I read the letter to her where they told me that I was among the 4% of the thousands of people who send manuscripts to them that actually get chosen. The book is about a dog named Mustard, whom my mother created years ago. We actually had a dog named Mustard when I was a kid and my mother has told stories about him for years. My kids actually call Grammy just to hear a "Mustard Story". So, you can imagine both of our excitement at this opportunity. Well, to make a long story short, this company is a company that aids you in self-publishing your book. I was a little scared to get to excited about the whole thing and it turns out I was right. They are a publishing company and they do actually publish some books, but apparently there is some question as to the legitimacy of the company. The short version is that I won't be signing their contract. Yea, pretty sad, right? I was totally disappointed, but have chosen to look at this as a compliment. If it really stunk, they probably wouldn't have bothered to even send me the letter and the contract in the first place, right?

On another note, today is my little guys last day of Pre-K. Good grief, I really hope that I do NOT embarass myself by crying all over the place when I drop him off. He had his graduation program on Wednesday and it was so sweet! Pictures coming soon, I hope!

Wednesday was my birthday and it was the best day! Craig had taken me out last weekend for a birthday shopping date! Most of ya'll know that I have a serious jewelry habit and I had outgrown my jewelry box. He bought me one of the floor kind - it is awesome! Kayla inherited my old one and it looks like she is going to be as bad as I am when it comes to jewelry! I had several friends who took me to lunch and bought me gifts, gifts from other friends and family, and tons of facebook birthday wishes. I'm ruined for years to come now - I was incredibly spoiled all day!

Yesterday was a complete blur. Tyler had a friend over to play and she was here all day and they had a blast! They got along so well and played so good together, and I got tons done. I did a bunch of embroidery and then finally got that put up, cleaned my house, did all the laundry, ironed all the laundry that needed to be ironed, cooked dinner, made it to the ball field... It was an extremely productive day! I'm hoping for the same today. I'm off to work in a little while, have to pay bills, run errands, get groceries - does it ever end? These days I feel like I pass myself on the road! Only a few more weeks of baseball left and then hopefully we will slow down some. Craig and I are off on another date night tonight - this seldom happens that we go back to back weekends like this, but my boss gave us tickets to the sunset canal cruise so we are headed out for that. Fred will be playing the sax and I can make small talk with my co-worker and my boss and their families. You know how I love small talk right? Oh, well, it will be fun, especially if it does not rain! Have a good weekend everyone!

0 comments: