Sunday, February 15, 2009

Family Fun Night Gone Terribly Wrong

Oh, the bliss of a weekend with nothing to do! Yesterday was a gloomy day and it rained off and on. Kayla had a basketball game in the morning and we decided that in the afternoon we would go to the movies. I had checked the schedule for the cheap movie online. I'm not into paying $30 for all of us to go to the movies and since we don't go to the movies very often we usually haven't seen anything that is showing at the dollar movie. Actually, did you know that the dollar movie is now the two dollar movie - yea, inflation and all that! So, we were off to see Madagascar 2 at 4:25. We get there and Craig drops us off since it is looking pretty packed. I get up to the window and ask for four tickets to Madagascar to which the man replies with the total and I had him my debit card. Did you know that they don't take debit cards at the two dollar theatre? So, now I'm waiting for Craig hoping that he has cash and he does, but when the man looks again there is no movie listing for Madagascar at the time we wanted to go. So, our choices are: 1)Wait 45 minutes to see "Bolt" or 2)See Marley and Me at 4:25. I knew M&M was about a couple that buys a dog and it had this cute picture of this dog on the advertising screen and so I thought "how bad can it be?". It was PG and that gave me a moment of pause. We have been letting Kayla see a few PG movies if I can get on movie reviewer and see that it is okay. Call me a compromiser if you want, but it is stinkin' hard to find a movie for your kids to watch that has NOTHING questionable in it. So, off we go to Marley and Me. We lasted about 20 or 30 minutes and then we left. We totally wasted $8. You know what the sad thing was though? People were packed in there with their children of all ages - did they get up and leave??? NO! I'm trying really hard not to be judgmental here, but, seriously, now I know why there are 4th grade boys at my child's school calling my daughter smokin' hot and talking about dating! It is because they watch this kind of crap. Oh, it makes me so mad - can you tell. I'm standing proudly on my soapbox right now! Okay, so I know that you are dying to know why we left right? At that point, I had heard three bad words and the couple in the movie had decided that they were doing great taking care of this horrible dog, so why not try for a baby. Yes, they went down that road in the movie and, yes, we left just as they were getting ready to "try". I mean, come on, people! I do have one thing to say though - they were married - which is at least a small step up in the right direction.

So, we left the movie, came home, had dinner, and played two rousing games of Candy Land. Now, I know why more times than not, our family nights include only games and no movies!

0 comments: