Monday, May 19, 2008

High and Lows

The weekend was definitely a mixture of highs and lows and ups and downs. Friday night we were at the funeral home to show our support to Denny and Vickie and their family. It was packed - we waited in line for a full two hours. How awesome to have that kind of support and love; I can't imagine how overwhelmed and loved that they must have felt. Craig and I were both shocked at how tiny the casket was - that was one of the worst things that I have ever seen. We have never been to a funeral for a child or a baby and it was so heartbreaking to see that tiny casket - it just seemed so wrong, but God is incapable of doing any wrong thing so I know that He has a plan. We were blessed with a sweet friend and her two daughters who watched the kids for us on Friday night at their house. Not only did they babysit them, but they loved on them and entertained them and my kids had a blast. Friday night I was up until the wee hours of the morning cooking and baking for the weekend and finishing laundry, etc, etc.
Saturday morning was spent finishing cooking, cleaning up around the house, working on the van, and doing Graceful Designs stuff. We left for the funeral that afternoon and took Kayla with us. That was her first funeral and I was a little nervous with how she would handle it. She did great! I was very proud of her. The funeral was a "great service", but it was so hard. So hard to see your friends and your pastor hurting, so hard to see a heartbroken father stand up and say goodbye to his little girl. And he didn't just say goodbye, he worshipped a Holy God during the few moments that he spoke and he also gave a very clear plan of salvation. What an incredible testimony. When you get home from something like that it is almost impossible to do anything else except fall into bed and sob. Craig and I were both spent; I cannot begin to imagine how Denny and Vickie felt at the end of the day. However, there were still things that had to be done. I finished baking for my AWANA leaders and made sure that all of our AWANA stuff was ready to go. We played a rousing game of Yahtzee with Kayla and she completely skunked Craig and I. She loved that!
Sunday was truly a day of rest. I told the kids that we were exhausted and we were just going to relax and take it easy. And we did. Last night was the AWANA program and even though several awards got mixed up, we were able to fix it and it is now over. Craig and I love AWANA but it is so nice to have a break for a couple of months!

0 comments: