Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Love in the Fourth Grade

As promised yesterday, I'm doing a post soley dedicated to Kayla's love life or lack thereof. Now, before I start this I'm giving you all full warning that I am bound to hop on a soap box or two before this is over with so you may want to stop reading now!

I am not a fan of encouraging my children to "like" someone of the opposite sex. Kayla has "liked" one boy at our church who is a great kid and I have encouraged her that WHEN it is time to start looking for someone to date that this boy would have the qualities that she should look for. However, now is not the time to be all about boys and "oh, he's so cute", yadddaayaddayah! I figure all of that will come long before I am ready but I'm going to fight it off for as long as I can. Apparently other parents of children in the fourth grade do NOT encourage this same kind of attitude and outlook in their children. In light of that please let me say to them --"please encourage your little boys to like/love someone other than my daughter because I am NOT ready for that". Kayla had a little boy tell her the other day that he has loved her since the first day of third grade. I may have mentioned that in a previous post, but the saga has continued since that day last week. I asked Kayla what she said or did when he told her this and she said basically that she made ugly faces and said "eww". Love it! I told her that in the future it would be okay for her to simply say "thank you" and move on. So yesterday she comes home and I think it is the same boy that said that he liked her because she was pretty, smart, and funny. How nice! Thank you little boy.

I do have to tell ya'll one thing though. One of the boys that likes her? His last name is Pickleseimer. I'm sorry - if your last name is Pickleseimer and you are reading this please know that I am not laughing at you but with you because you gotta know that your last name is darn funny. I'm probably going to get struck by an ugly stick for even bringing this up, but I just had to. I do NOT encourage my kids to laugh about peoples names nor do I encourage them to make fun of people's name, but, in all honestly when Kayla told me his last name I could not help but laugh. I think it was the way she said it which I am NOT going to try to describe for you.

Do you know that next year my child has a fifth grade dance at school??? All I have to say about that is.... Crap, I don't think I'm gonna be ready for that either. Do you also know that she will be 10 years old in August and I started shaving my legs when I was 10. Do you know that she is already starting to ask when she can shave her legs? Do you know that she puts lip gloss on now when she gets ready in the morning? Do you know that I make her wipe it right back off? I'm seriously thinking about locking her in the house until she is at least 50!

0 comments: