Tuesday, October 21, 2008

WhooooHOOOOOO!!!!

Just received word today that my freezer will be fully stocked with meat for the next several months! Craig has never hunted since we have been married so this will be a new experience for me. His dad called Ruth today and let her know that they had taken some of the "meat" to town for processing when they delivered one of Craig's cousins to the airport. Apparently last night Craig shot a mule deer and while he and his cousin went to "dress" that his uncle radioed and said they were chasing two "cows"(female elk) over the mountain. So, Craig and his cousin grabbed their guns and they got both of them about 10 minutes after Craig shot the first deer! They then spent the next two to three hours trying to get those things dressed and on the horses and hauled out of the woods - did I mention that it was raining and hailing in the midst of all of this??? I'm getting such an education. If I haven't told you before - I'm a city girl, all the way. Love my bed, my air conditioner, WalMart, etc. I asked Craig's dad if the "cow" had horns. How was I supposed to know that female elk do NOT have horns. Ruth was sweet enough to explain it all to me and I feel much more informed now! She has been through this once before when Ron went a couple of years ago. He still has the chance to shoot a "bull" elk, but once he gets that I think he is done. They only allow one per license. I can't wait to talk to him - I know he is excited! This is day three of not talking to him, so I was glad to hear from my father-in-law today. I miss him like crazy. It is the weirdest thing - we have never gone without talking to each other for three days. But I know he is safe and that he is having a blast, so that makes it easier. I can't wait to share pictures with all of you when he gets home! Now, I will have you know that they were all having fried elk liver and onions for dinner tonight. That makes me want to vomit, but, hey, whatever! I don't do liver. I mean you might as well fry up it's eyeballs for goodness sake. Gross. How big is an elk's liver anyway?

0 comments: