Monday, January 21, 2008

Mexico

I'm going to Mexico!!! God has laid upon my heart to join a Missions Team from our church on a trip to Mexico in June. We had our first meeting last night and I'm so excited to see what God is going to do on this trip. There are probably close to 30 people going. We will be up in the mountains in Patzcuaro, about 7500 feet up! It is actually a medical mission trip and for those of you who know how well I do with doctors, you are probably wondering what in the world I am thinking! Well, I won't be administering any shots or drawing any blood or anything crazy like that, but for each doctor that goes they need about five people to assist that doctor. We have a podiatrist, pediactrics, pharmacists, eye doctors, and many more going. We will actually turn the church there into a hospital of sorts. This is all extremely out of my comfort zone, but God says "go" and unless he closes the door, I am going. I have applied for my passport and will begin to try to raise support very soon. I did find out a couple of interesting things last night though - nothing too scary, but it just kind of makes you go "hhmmmm". Like for instance, the physician heading this up has gone several years and he said that occasionally you will get "critters" that come into to hotel; nothing too harmful, maybe just a squirrel or something. Okay, I'm good with that. Then he told us that you cannot put toilet paper in the toilets ANYWHERE - not at the church, not at the hotel - it clogs their plumbing system. Yikes! Okay, well, I can deal with that. THEN (drumroll please), his wife proceeds to tell us that there may be several who don't get their luggage all the way there and you may be without underwear and clothes! I have to have clean underwear!!! So I will be packing my carry-on with underwear, scrubs, and hairspray!!! As long as I have those three things, life will be good. You do NOT want to see me without hairspray - just ask those who have been camping or boating with me - it is not pretty!
Anyway, I'm making jokes, but the truth is is that I am thrilled that God has presented this opportunity. My sweet Mother-in-law has already said she would come and stay with the kids since Craig will have to be at work. God has also given me a good friend who is going with me. My cell phone service should work over there. And I know God is going to provide the money that we need for me to do this. I always pictured doing this sort of thing after my kids are grown or at least older, but I guess God had different plans. I don't think I have ever been away from my children for more than a few days at a time, so that will be difficult. But, all in all, I'm so excited and just can't wait!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog Lisa. I have it bookmarked now and will try to keep up with it as much as I can. Had a great time this weekend with you and Craig. I'll sum it up with my favorite movie line from Chevy Chase...."Good talk Russ!!" lol ;-) love you,

Brian