Thursday, July 17, 2008

Family Fun Day Gone All Wrong

Well, it's time for another episode of Churchill Family Drama! Buckle your seatbelts folks, it's going to be a very bumpy ride!

Okay, I'm probably way too angry to even be posting so let me see if I can give today's update and spin a little positive light on it even though I feel like saying bad words. So - we were supposed to get out of the house today for a little family fun and I had some things planned. We were going to go to the movies, the library, out to lunch, the jumpy thing...fun, fun, fun. Yesterday I noticed that Kayla was wheezing. She has had this ongoing cough for about a week and the past couple of days it has gotten pretty bad. I called the doctor first thing this morning and they gave us an appointment at 10:05 - the movie was supposed to start at 10:00. I decide that, okay, this is not a problem. We'll move to plan B. This is where things get complicated and drawn out. You see, I have this insane addiction to pharmacies. I love them! Mostly why I love this is because you can basically earn free money. I had already searched and found a coupon for a gift card with a prescription only it was at a pharmacy that is not my fave. Not a problem - my pharmacy (CVS) will take competitor's coupons. Let me back up for a minute and tell you what we found out at the doctor's office. Kayla was wheezing! Dr. B told me that I had done the right thing by bringing her in and that she needed an antibiotic and an inhaler. Wow! I was just hoping for some high dose cough medicine. So I go off to my CVS and pull up to the drive thru and, well, they wouldn't take my competitor's coupon. Great. Being the cheapo that I am I took all of my stuff back and left. We went out for lunch and went to the library and were having a wonderful time. We came back home and I searched for another coupon and came up with nothing. I ended up driving out of my way to the pharmacy that I don't like to get my $30 gift card. Then I took the kids to this park that we have that has a walking path and big water fountain to play in. I told them that they could ride their bikes while I walked and then they could play in the fountain. That lasted for about 10 minutes. I let Kayla take Tyler to the fountain while I finished my walk. The fountain is visible almost all the way around the track so I felt pretty safe letting her do that and she actually is very responsible at this sort of thing. I got pretty much finished with my walk, took their clothes to the car, and grabbed the towels. As I turned around to head back to fountain I could hear the crying. You know a mother just knows her child's cry and whether it is a for real cry or a fake cry. This one was for real and it was Tyler. Kayla was hauling him across the field. He had slipped and hit his head. Yep, and I wasn't there. Mother of the year award right here - I will be nominated again! At that point I decided it was time to head home. Tyler whined the whole way home. Came home and got him to bed. I gave Kayla her meds and her breathing treatment. I started cooking for a family that I was taking a meal to. At this point, I have brownies in the oven (more on that in a minute), green bean casserole half put together, meat frying in one pan, and water on to boil in another pan. Kayla begins this coughing fit and pretty soon she starts crying and telling me that her tongue is burning and feels like it is pulsing and swelling. Of course, I'm thinking allergic reaction. I have tried every cough medicine in my cupboard on her this week which included the last little bit of Benadryl that I had on hand. Yikes! It's 4:10; the doctor's office closes at 4:30 so I put a call in. Sure enough, she had basically gotten a "burn" from one of the agents in the inhaler that is used to help push the medicine out the end. So now the doctor is calling in a medicine. In the meantime I turned off everything but the brownies so that I could sit with her and get her calmed down. Crisis is over. Meal is back on. The brownies, well, let's just say that you can, in fact, mess up a box mix of brownies. That's all I'm going to say about that.
So, we get the meal delivered and then we are off for an evening of free jumping, free pizza, and free coke. We get to Jump City and realize that it is, indeed, packed to capacity and beyond. We stood in line for probably thirty minutes for one piece of pizza each. The kids didn't want to jump because there was too many people. Literally, the announcer from the radio station announced about ten times in the short time we were there that there was a missing child. And it was always a different missing child. How scary. We decided to run far away from that place and ended up going to McDonald's thinking we could get ice cream and let the kids play. Suffice it to say that after sitting down to our after dinner snack of cheeseburgers and ice cream, my children expressed a very ungrateful interest in the food that they were partaking of, SO all of the ice cream got thrown in the trash and we left with two crying kids. The good news is though is that my favorite pharmacy(different location) accepted my prescription coupon and the new prescription. So, while I spent an unplanned $40 on doctors visit and prescriptions, I made $60 in gift cards!

0 comments: