Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mexico - Post One

I'm going to start posting on my trip. It was my greatest desire to take tons of pictures and videos so that my family could feel like they were somewhat there with me. You all know I am a person of detail, but I will try not to bore you with too many details but some of them are pertinent! My house is quiet right now with Kayla gone swimming with a friend and Tyler taking a nap so we will see how far I get!

Travel Day - June 21, 2008

From my journal -- "... I can definitely feel the prayers today. I left this morning with no tears and have not been nervous at all. Thank You Jesus!..."

The trip went well. A two hour bus ride to Atlanta went by pretty quick as I talked Sadonna's ears off. Our flight from Atlanta to Houston was pretty bumpy, but I think everyone made it unharmed and with all of the contents of their stomach still intact! We saw two rainbows on the flights. What an incredible sight to see a rainbow from up above! We arrived in Morelia, Mexico at about 8:00 p.m. By this time we had been traveling for about 12 hours and we still had an hour and a half bus ride ahead of us. We were missing 12 bags when we got to Morelia. Not good. We managed without them for about three days I think and then the customs folks finally released them and praise God, did not charge us either. They wanted to charge tax on the eyeglasses, but God said, "um, no."! Needless to say, we were all exhausted by the time we got there. I tried to rearrange my suitcases so that all of my meds and stuff were in one suitcase. Then we hit the sack.

Day 2, June 22, 2008

This was Craig and I's 12th Anniversary. It is the first anniversary we have ever spent apart. I feel so bad to admit this, but the day was so crazy that I actually forgot it was our anniversary. Yes, I am now nominated for the wife of the year award! Anyway.. The day started with an awesome breakfast at the hotel - thank You Lord for mexican omelets - it was one of the best things I ate all week. We started out after breakfast to have devotions. After that, we spent about 2 hours packing to get ready to go to the church. Six months worth of work, rearranged and repacked in two hours. Absolutely amazing. Off to church we went. We arrived in the middle of Sunday School. As soon as we got there my bladder reminded me that it was still working and Dr. R was sweet enough to direct me to el bano. What a pleasant experience. Everyone said it wasn't that bad, but I'm here to tell you it wasn't that good either. That's all I will say about that subject. I'm going to attempt to post a video clip from the church service. I hope it works. I want you to understand that the entire service was in Spanish, but I'm telling you - God was there. You could feel the Holy Spirit descend on that congregation. It was an awesome blessing to be a part of that service.


From my journal--"...At the end of the church service, Pastor David thanked us for coming and explained that people are coming from far away to have our doctors look at them. He told us they have prayed for us for many months. After explaining this and telling us that, already, people were waiting to be seen, they brought several disabled children down front for Kiki, Max, and Terri to lay hands on and pray for. The tears flowed once again as I listed to this spanish prayer and heard the man pray for their physical and "loco problemos". Oh my dear God, praise You that my children are healthy. Our first patient was one of those precious special needs children. Bro. Terry brought him over from eye glasses because they couldn't get a good read on his eyes. He was either blind or very nearly blind - there was nothing we could do for him. His mother looked so sad the whole time she sat there..."

Day Three, Monday, June 23, 2008...

We saw only about 20-30 children on this day. The Catholic priest across the street from the church decided he needed to try to get into God's way. Apparently he was out in the street in his priestly robes banging his gong and throwing holy water at the church trying to warn people to stay away. Even with this, there were about 250 patients who came through the clinic that day. We saw a few babies today and one of them would giggle out loud every time Dr. T touched his belly with his hand or his stethoscope. I will post his picture along with a few others in a minute.

Journal Entry from today:

"...One of the most precious moments of this day was being able to listen in on the last few moments of Max's salvation presentation. Although in another language, it was clear what he was teaching. My eyes filled with tears as he prayed a salvation prayer and you could hear the soft voices of several of the people repeating the prayer, and all of Heaven rejoiced as lost souls were found. Most heartbreaking moment of the day was watching a 19 year old girl find out she was pregnant. she had just aborted a baby three months ago...Janna gave her a gift for the baby. We pray that she will not abort this child.


Our eyeglass team. Way to go guys!


Triage - The patients come in from the street and the triage nurses take their vitals and direct them where to go next as well as trying to narrow down their physical problems.


Cute baby #1! The people in Mexico bundle their children up in multiple layers of clothing. It is amazing that they can even breathe.


This was our giggly boy! Isn't he a cutie!

1 comments:

Momma 2...5 said...

Loved the pictures!What grace from Janna to give this mom a gift knowing that a baby is what she wants more than anything! God is so awesome!