Friday, July 4, 2008

The Last of Mexico

After the last day of clinic it was probably close to 8:30 when we got back to the hotel. We had tables reserved for us out in the dining room where they do this Mexican fiesta thing and have "Old Men Dancing" and a mariachi band. It was pretty cool. The food was good and was the closest thing to authentic Mexican food that we had all week. I think we all hit our local Mexican restaurants as soon as we got home! I have to post a video of the Old Men Dancing. I still haven't decided for sure if they were really strange or if it was okay. Mostly I think it was pretty strange. It was kind of like Mexican tap dancing. See for yourself and let me know what you think. I will warn you though - it is loud...


On Friday, we had our finally day of devotions. Wow, what a great fellowship time we all had this week. Bro. Terry talked about the Pool of Bethesda, where Jesus told the lame man to rise, pick up his bed, and walk. Bro. Terry's interpretation is "get up, get over it, and get on with it". How true is that? It has made me think about so many petty things that I get wrapped up in and just wallow in when really - shouldn't I just get over it? Anyway, we finished up devotions and then began our tour to some different areas around Patzcuaro. We saw how masks are made. That was a freaky visit. The Mexican people are big into this "Day of the Dead" thing, so there are lots of skulls and scary looking things like that. I will post a picture below. We left there and went to see how they make sombreroes. That was kind of cool. We had to walk for a little ways to get there and some of my traveling companions were sweet enough to enlighten me that I was walking through sewerage! Yep, it pretty much just runs right through the middle of the streets. That was nice. We left there and ended up going back into Patzcuaro to shop around this little square in the middle of town. That was neat. So many cool things to see. They make a lot of potholders and blouses and we even saw the room where they make much of their own fabric. They also do a lot of stuff with cornhusks and that was kind of neat. I brought Kayla back a straw purse and Tyler got a Mexican guitar. After shopping all day and an unending ride on the bus we ate dinner at this little pizza place in downtown Patzcuaro. Yep, pizza in Mexico - how funny is that? It had hot dogs on it. I could've done without that, but, otherwise, it wasn't too bad. The best part was that they had cold Diet Coke. You can't use the ice over there and so most of what we drank was room temperature so when you found something cold you snatched it up quick!

On Saturday, Sadonna and I were up at 1a.m. to be ready to load the bus at 2:30. We left our hotel at 2:50 a.m. and drove the 1 1/2 hours to Morelia and then began the journey back home. When we hit Houston it was about 10:00 a.m. We all converged on the Wendy's in our gate area begging for huge Diet Cokes, hamburgers, and french fries. You have never tasted anything so good, except for maybe the cheese dip we had at Monterrey on Sunday night! When we got to Atlanta, the kids and Craig were waiting for me with signs and big smiles. I was so excited to see them. We had a great ride home from Atlanta just talking about our week, until I completely crashed. I was so tired that I could barely hold my head up!!! It has taken a few days for me to catch up on my rest and get back into the swing of things, but I think I'm there. Now I'm wondering what in the world I will blog about - Mexico is over and I think Tyler is poopy trained - he is doing so good! What adventure will we find ourselves on next???


The mask man! He was creating a mask out of that big stump of wood that you see.

These are some of the weird masks that we saw. I didn't buy anything at this shop!

Sadonna and I with one of the old men.
Okay, everyone wanted to know why in the world I was taking pictures of PVC, but with all of the renovating that we have been doing in the kitchen I had to take these pictures to show to Craig. This was a tool store on the square where we ate lunch on Friday. We got to Home Depot and Lowes and they go here!

0 comments: