Friday, July 18, 2008

Looking for a Better Day

It is a new day! I am trying to gain some perspective today. We have had very few bad days this summer, but you probably wouldn't know that by the way I blog! Seriously though, I was talking to a friend last night and we were talking about our kids and how they act the age that they are. Isn't that deep? We have these children who are four and eight and they actually act four and eight and then I get irritated. Where along the way did I lose the perspective on my job as a parent? God expects me to train them up not get mad when they act untrained, although that is often times a very natural reaction, not necessarily right, but natural! I have spent the last couple of weeks really praying about my kids and asking God to give me wisdom and I think he has answered for today - expect my kids to act the age that they are and have the patience and gentleness to TEACH them how and why their behavior is wrong. Please tell me that I am not the only one who forgets to remember stuff like this. I was so irritated last night over the ungratefulness that my children showed after trying to have some family fun, but, honestly, should I expect anything less? I'm not saying that it is right by any means, but gratefulness needs to be taught. I have struggled with this so much since coming home from Mexico. I just want to put my kids on a plane and fly them to a poor and foreign land so they can see how truly blessed and fortunate that we are. But at this point in life I can't do that so it is my job to teach them. It is like I said in a former post that God wants me to train up my children and I have to ask myself am I doing that or am I just disciplining for the moment. I don't know if any of what I wrote makes sense or not, but God has really spoke to me about that yesterday and today. I'm sure that it will be much easier said than done, but that is what I am striving for today.

I'm also striving to spring clean my master bathroom. Ugh! I hate cleaning bathrooms, but, like my room, I'm sure it will feel so good when it is done!

That is it for us for now. Hope everyone has a good weekend and a happy Friday!

0 comments: