Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sibling Rivalry - This is War!

Well, folks, it has begun. Summer is here and my children are in a race to see who will kill each other first. Let me just say that at this point, I am taking any and all advice from everyone so please feel free to post your comments. Now, on to what I have tried. Let's see. First of all we have given the Biblical run down on what God says about treating each other with kindness and compassion, explained in great detail. Second, we have tried the Golden Rule - "Treat others as you wish to be treated", explained in great detail. Third, I have disciplined until I am blue in the face. I have spanked, timed out, sent to rooms, stood in the corner, spanked some more, etc. etc. Fourth, I have forced togetherness with the explanation that "you will play with no one else until you learn to play nice with each other. Can you say torture for the whole family? Last, but I'm sure not least, I have come up with a new one. They know what the Bible says about how to treat each other, we have disciplined REPEATEDLY to no avail, so now I am onto Churchill UFC! That's right. I have now given them permission to beat the tar out of each other as long as nobody bleeds in my house and, of course, you know, that they don't ACTUALLY kill each other. You see, Tyler has a very bad tendency to hit EVERYONE, not just Kayla, but everyone, for no reason, all the time, everyplace, everywhere, for no good reason. That ticks me off! So, he is in for a taste of his own medicine. Yes, yes, yes, I know there are probably some of you out there reading this that are giving me the "so you're going to try to teach your kid not to hit by letting somebody hit him"? Yep, that's about right. As I said, I'm totally open to more suggestions! If this doesn't work then I'm thinking about getting some rope and just tying them together! I'm kidding, don't call DFACS on me! I refuse to join the crowds of parents who are miserable all summer long because their children fight like cats and dogs. So, if they choose to be miserable that is fine. I, however, plan to beat them at their own game, so to speak! Bless Lisa Whelchel for her book on Creative Corrections! Don't know if she would approve of this, but when the going gets tough, the tough have to get some new material!

2 comments:

Momma 2...5 said...

Good luck!!! We are having the same problems in the Wootten house. I guess it is just the getting used to summer thing.

We have started taking things away from them too. That is of course in addition to all that you mentioned. It will get better. Remember they are probably stating to get nervous about you being gone in a few weeks too.

I know that probably doesn't help, but at least you know you are not alone.:)

When all else fails, send them outside and they will get so hot they won't care what the other one does, and when they come inside they will just flop!

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Lisa - just found your blog and read this post and felt right at home!! Any advice you find, please send my way!!
You certainly are NOT alone!! The only reason I'm afraid to let mine fight it out is b/c Cade would always come out the loser b/c he is half States' size - if they were more equally matched I'd say "Go for it - I'll make popcorn and watch!!"
We watch supernanny sometimes and I always thought the "naughty chair" was stupid, but we finally hit rock bottom with disciplining Cade and decided to try it! Crazy enough - it is working! With him - that is!! Not with fighting with his brohter - but the other various issues we have with him! No wonder they gave her a show!!!
Take Care!
Lara